Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting Baby's Eyelashes
IDOBaby - Singapore Baby & Parenting Discussion Board > ---------------- PARENTING ---------------- > Newborn / Infants (0-12 Months Old)
honeygem
My mum saw a couple of our relatives' babies with super curled up lashes and their mums gave her the tip to cut the lashes at this age to get that effect. When the baby is sleeping of course. She is now insisting that I do so to my baby. Even my maid said that her sister did so to three of her children and their lashes are so thick and curly that if you place a matchstick on their lashes, it will stay up. blink.gif

Does it really work? Isnt it scary? How long does it take for the eyelashes to grow like that? Do you think I should do it?

So tempting but so scary leh.
jansey
i dun dare n dun bear to cut my elder's eyelashes. my dad had mentioned cuttin his lashes but its bcos he scare hengheng can't c clearly thru the thick lashes.

i use my finger to brush his lashes up every chance i get. i do the same to my own lashes n it is curled up biggrin.gif
Nancy
my maid also mentioned about this...but i refused to cut.

What if i cut and the lashes don't grow back?? my baby will hate me forever!!!

at most...next time use mascara (of cos for girls lah)...
honeygem
hmmm... that's actually my primary concern. What if the lashes dont grow back right? Poor girl will have bald lashes on top of her already bald head.

Thanks for your responses!
summerise
dun worry, i have tried and trim my eldest gal, it grew longer than it was.. just trim abit, dun cut so much...
Chubby
personally, i won't do it cos' i'm afraid that i'll hurt the baby. wink.gif
cherie
I did.. for my second son and the result? Fab!

Everyone who sees him sure to compliment his eye lashes. Very long and curly.. wink.gif
juzforyingxi
O_o .. I'm tempted after hearing ur results ... lOl ... @ wat age does it wrk?
charmaine
i trimmed adel's eyelashes during her baby shower.
i dun notice any diff but friends have commented that she has long lashes.

do it when babies are sleeping and trimmed a little bit; not cut
Doreen_0406
always envy pple with long dark lashes...still wandering whether to give my bb.

btw what type of scissor you all use ?
charmaine
get those scissor with rounded tip so as not to hurt baby if moved suddenly. avoid getting the sharp tip.

trim when baby alseep. easier to do so
if possible trim as early as possible since NB dun have big movements. otherwise when they older, understand instrutions.
icekitten
Then supposed to trim how much? Just the very tip of the lashes?
wennykoh
Btw, how often do you need to trim?
charmaine
just trim a tiny bit of the lashes will do. not too short cos the lashes protects the eyes from dust and dirts.

u can trim a few times during the 1st year.
i only trim once for adel
wennykoh
Thanks. I hope I'm not too late to start as my ger is already 9 months old.
pinkapple
i think you are only supposed to trim once.

but i don't dare to do it to my hanhan. anyway, he already has nice long dark lashes.

i don't want to take the risk man. even if he is sleeping. I don't think it will work for everybody. just like people say shave the head liao hair will grow nicer... not true for all babies!
honeygem
interesting... thanks for the tips. Im in two minds now whether to trim or not. Let's see whether i have the courage to do so this week. heh.
sarari
QUOTE(honeygem @ Oct 27 2006, 08:56 PM)
My mum saw a couple of our relatives' babies with super curled up lashes and their mums gave her the tip to cut the lashes at this age to get that effect. When the baby is sleeping of course. She is now insisting that I do so to my baby. Even my maid said that her sister did so to three of her children and their lashes are so thick and curly that if you place a matchstick on their lashes, it will stay up.  blink.gif

Does it really work? Isnt it scary? How long does it take for the eyelashes to grow like that? Do you think I should do it?

So tempting but so scary leh.

My mom was told by someone that when cutting the eyelashes, it will grow back curly. So, thats what happened to me when i was a baby. And.....it did not grow back curly. Its straight.

For my girls, I see their eyelashes is it bit curly already, so I will not cut them. But even if it is not, I wll like to keep it all natural.
beautex80
I dun even cut my boy's hair, dun even think of eye lashes. His daddy has very long lashes and my boy also inherit his. I scare cut already don't grow back then even worse. But how true is it, I think also depend on the gene right?
JJMom
I did it to both ds's too and the results were good, especially ds1. I did to ds1 a couple of times that's why his lashes are longer and curlier. With ds2, I was only able to do it once. You should cut it before they turn 1.
honeygem
I decided against it. With the kind of luck I get, sekali the eyelashes wont grow back, how? I will be the one crying. haha. Thanks anyway ladies, for your views.
pingmis
cutting their eyelashes might be too dangerous to attemp...

try applying some baby olive oil... it helps...
pingmis
oops.gif use cotton buds hor, dun apply directly hahaha...

u can use that to clean the ear wax too, makes the ear wax to come out more easily, dun put too much else v greasy... i will do that before bath time, then will use towel to clean ears so it wont ended up v oily smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.